Moong dal- 1 teacup
White gourd- 200 gms
Fresh low fat yogurt- 3 tbsp
Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
Salt- to taste
Green chillies (finely chopped)-2
Coriander (chopped)-2-3 tbsp
Extra virgin oil-1tsp
For the batter-
- Soak the dal for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the soaked dal with green chillies and yogurt.
- Add asafoetida and salt, mix well.
- Heat a non- stick tawa and spread a little moong dal mixture and oil on it.
- Spread a little stuffing and smear a little oil on the sides.
- Turn upside down and cook again for a few minutes.
Repeat with the remaining mixture and stuffing.
Serve hot with mint chutney or sweet chutney.
Hot tip: The batter can be prepared the day before and the pancakes can be made fresh in the morning. It is a complete meal as it contains all food groups.
SPINACH TIKKI WITH VEGETABLES
Spinach (shredded) -1 bunch
White radish (grated) -1/2(half)
Carrot (grated-) 1
Salt- to taste
Green chili and ginger paste- 1-2 tsp
Crushed peanuts -1/4(quarter) cup
- Grate carrot, radish and boiled potatoes.
- Mix them with all other ingredients.
- Make small tikkies from that mixture.
- On each tikki add chopped tomatoes, both chutneys and serve.
Hot tip: The potatoes can be boiled one day before and the vegetables can be cut and kept in the fridge.
Tomatoes- 100 gms
Yellow corn (boiled)-¼(quarter) cup
Olives- 2- 3
Mushrooms- a few
- Boil and mash potatoes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Make tomato puree and add salt to taste.
- Make small flat pancakes from the boiled and mashed potatoes.
- Decorate it with capsicum, corn, onions, olives and mushrooms, grate paneer on top. Bake in an oven at 400 degree celsius for 15 minutes.
Hot Tip: Puree and potatoes can be made before hand.
Tomato (finely chopped) -1
Capsicum (finely chopped) -1 cup
Onion (finely chopped)-1
Pav bhaji masala- 1 tablespoon
Salt- to taste
Chili powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves (chopped)-a handful
Olive oil- ! tsp
- Cut each idli into four pieces.
- Saute all the vegetables in oil.
- Add the masala , idli and coriander, mix well and serve hot.
Hot tip: Batter can be made the day before.
Paneer (grated)-100 gms
French beans and carrots (boiled)-100 gms
Coriander (chopped)-1 cup
Onion (chopped-) 1
Jeera- 1 tsp;
Lemon juice- 1 lemon
Red paprika- ½(half) tsp
Extra virgin oil-1 tsp
Whole wheat flour- 100 gms
- Make four rotis from the whole wheat atta.
- Grate the paneer and add all the ingredients to it except oil.
- Sauté it in oil and place it on the roti and roll it.
- Have it with green chutney or salsa.
Hot Tip: The dough can be prepared the day before. All the ingredients can be chopped the day before.
NUTRITIOUS CHAPATTI ROLLS
Chapattis made from wheat flour-3
Vegetables (chopped and boiled) -1/4 cup
Sprouts (cooked) -1/4 cup
Spinach (boiled and chopped) - 1- tbsp
Ginger and garlic (chopped)-¼ - tbsp
Chat masala- ½ - tsp
Wheat flour ½- tsp
Ghee or oil- 2- tsp
Salt and peppe-r to taste
- Heat butter; add vegetables, sprouts, ginger, garlic and spinach. Stir for a minute
- Add masala, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle wheat flour and mix well. Cool.
- Just semi-roast the chapatis.
- Spread 1 tbsp filling across chapatti.
- Fold ends where the filling touches the edges. Roll tightly.
- Place chapattis on a warm griddle. Sprinkle ghee.
- Roast on low flame till colour turns golden.
- Cool and pack into lunch box with some ketchup, jam, curd or chutney.
Whole wheat flour- 2 heaped tbsp
Ragi flour - 1 level tbsp
Bengal gram flour - 1 level tbsp
Spinach (chopped) - 1 tbsp
Cabbage (chopped) - 1 tbsp
Carrot (grated) - 1 tbsp
Spring onion (chopped) - 1tbsp
Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds - ½(half) tsp
Juice of lemon - ½(half) lemon
Sugar- A little for taste (optional)
Fresh curds - 1 tbsp
Salt- to taste
- Knead the dough with curd and other ingredients.
- If the dough starts breaking you can use a little oil to bind.
- Roll out on a board with a rolling pin to your desired size.
- Make parathas with pure ghee on a non-stick pan.
- Pack in the lunch box with green chutney or tomato chutney.
CHICK PEAS AND SOYA TIKKI
Makes4 tikkis Cooking Time-10 min
Chick peas (kabuli channa boiled and drained)-.½ cup
Soya granules- ½ cup
Mint leaves (finely chopped) -1 tsp
Green chillies (finely chopped) -1 tsp
Ginger (finely chopped) -1tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil (for cooking) -1 tsp
- Soak the soya granules in hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the water
- In a blender, blend together the chick peas, soya granules and mint to a smooth paste.
- Add the green chillies, ginger salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts and shape into round flat tikkis.
- Cook them in a non stick pan using a little oil till both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with any chutney of your choice.
SOY NUTRELLA Quesadillas
(Mexican, Low calorie, High protein, Vegetarian)
Serves: 4 Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Green capsicum (diced)-30gms/1small
Green chilly (chopped)-1 Tbsp
Red chilly powder-1 tsp
- Soak Soy flakes in plain water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- In a pan heat oil and sauté the onions. Add mushrooms and sauté till dry.
- Add green chillies, red chilly powder and soy flakes.
- Remove the pan from heat and add diced capsicum.
- Put this mixture on tortilla bread. Spread the grated cheese on the top and put the other tortilla bread on it and press lightly.
- Heat a pan or tawa, brush it with little oil. Grill the stuffed tortilla bread on both sides till crisp.
- Cut into 8 triangles and serve
Green peas (boiled)-1 cup
Kabuli chana (chick peas) soaked and boiled- 1 cup
Moong sprouts (par boiled)-1/2(half) cup
Potatoes (boiled, sliced and fried)-3
Sal-t to taste
For the topping:
Tomatoes (chopped)-½ (half) cup
Onions (chopped)-½(half) cup
Raw mango (chopped) -4 tsp
Sev- 4 tsp
Nutrichoice Cream Cracker- 2
Coriander (chopped) - ½ cup
Sweet chutney- to taste
Green chutney- to taste
Chilly- garlic chutney- to taste
- Heat a tava (griddle) and place a little of each ingredients at a time on it.
- Cook each batch for 4 to 5 minutes and toss well.
- Serve with toppings.
BROWN RICE CASSEROL
Onion (chopped)-1 small
Garlic (crushed)-2\3 cloves
Olive oil-1 tsp
Cooked rice-1 cup~ (2\3 cup uncooked)
Light sour cream/ one day old curd -1/2cup
Tabasco sauce- dash or two
Seasoned salt/pepper-1 tsp
Mixed boiled vegetables-½(half) cup
- Heat oil in a skillet and saute` the onion and garlic in it.
- Toss in the cooked rice.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the boiled vegetables with the sour cream/ curd, Tabasco sauce and seasoned salt/pepper.
- Stir the vegetables into the rice. Move into a 1-1/2 qt casserole that is lightly brushed/spray coated with oil.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes
Corn-¼ (quarter) cup
Broccoli (chopped)-¼(quarter) cup
Bell pepper (croutons)-¼(quarter) cup
Tomatoes (croutons)-¼(quarter) cup
Cucumber (croutons)-¼(quarter) cup
Carrots (croutons)-¼(quarter) cup
Lemon juice-2 tbsp
Mint leaves (chopped)-10 -15
Green chilly (finely chopped) -1-2
- Soak soy chunks in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Drain water and squeeze chunks.
- Mix vinegar, salt, lemon juice, sugar and green